Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Finally Back from Vacation // A Review on the Netflix hit: Mr. Selfridge

Hello hello!

Back to the grind finally after being away and relaxing for a good two months! Vacation was swell, it was nice to see family and friends in Belgrade, and Amsterdam was phenomenal, to say the least. Everything was absolutely stunning and I've never fallen more in love with a city in my life! I'll make sure to add photos soon enough, as everything looks like it came out of a fairy tale. 

Now, for the movie business. I've been sitting and racking my brain trying to decide what movie or show I should do my next costume review on, and then came across a gem of a TV show on Netflix: Mr. Selfridge.

Three words to describe this show? Oh.My.God.

Those hats, those fabrics, those chocolates!

I don't want to give too much away, but the show (which is based on the book Shopping, Seduction, and Mr. Selfridge) essentially revolves around the creation of the first ever department store, Selfridge and Co. The owner of the store (Mr. Selfridge himself), is an American that has come to London in the 1910s, in hopes of creating a new shopping experience for the world.

It's really interesting to see how the theory behind a department store comes together, I can't even imagine how dull shopping must have been like prior to Selfridges. It just seems absolutely bizarre to only buy items out of utility purposes and not guilty personal pleasure.

Look how excited everyone is to shop. This would be me, basically.

As a viewer you also get to witness the first ever idea of a massive store-wide sale that every shopper now holds dearly in their hearts, as well as the first ever creative window displays, which are a gem to see.

And the costumes? A delight. The show's costume designer, James Keast really captured Edwardian fashions of the time, especially for the females. The show is filled with fancy millinery, choker necklaces, and over-the-top dresses. The cool thing is is that as time progresses in the second season, as do the fashion trends! The colour palettes of the characters are suddenly brighter, furs are being worn more and more (probably due to colonial ties between Britain and Canada at the time), and conversations about big-name designers of that era are being had such as Paul Poiret, for example.



I totally sound like a complete geek but this show genuinely excites me so much. We take all these elements of modern day shopping for granted, and it's so cool to finally see how they came to be. Throw in a little bit of sex and scandal into the mix and this show will have you hooked. Even my boyfriend, who could care less about becoming educated on fashion adored the show and couldn't stop watching.

The 3rd season starts in March, so I highly recommend all of you get hooked on it immediately and then share your thoughts with me :)

Happy binging everyone!

xoxo



SHARE:

23 comments

  1. I need to get Netflix :(

    www.beautyandcolour.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm I should watch it, its sounds very interesting! <3

    www.ismurfshion.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice!! Love pics.
    Kisses from Spain.
    Xoxo, P.

    My Showroom

    ReplyDelete
  4. really nice picture honey! ;)
    Check it out my new post: http://honeyandcotton.org/elegant-and-wedding-dresses/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this show as well! So nice to find a fellow fan. Just prior to seeing this show, I happened to see a documentary about how the department stores came to be (sadly I cannot remember the name of the documentary, I only saw a part of it, perhaps it is even a series and judging on it they really made a good job with the show). I do like the character of mr. Selfridge, even despite his shortcomings one must admire his vision:)

    The costumes that the characters wear in this show are simply superb! I couldn't help noticing it :) and it made me want to travel in time. I do love the comfort of your average jeans and leather jacket combo but those dresses....they make the corsets worth the trouble:) at least in our imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear you're a fan of the show too! I think I know what show you're talking about..is it called Secrets of Selfridges by any chance? I saw that on Netflix too and have been meaning to watch it :)

      Thanks for the kind words!

      xx

      Delete
    2. I think that might be it! thanks, I'll look it up.

      Delete
    3. I just checked it on you-tube...yes, that's the one!

      Delete
  6. Sounds good I will try and watch it!! Thanks! Great read btw!

    Meliissale.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing costumes :)

    http://byfoxygreen.blogspot.sk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just checked out your blog for the first time, it's awesome! I haven't heard of this show yet but it sounds really interesting!

    Vievelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing photos <3 I really like them
    It's my first time in your blog and I totally love it!
    Looking forward to read more about you :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the series too =) is awesome!!!

    http://thefantasticfashionworld.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pics, great series :9
    https://oneusefashion.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. i've actually been meaning to watch this for a while, might have to bump it up on my list!

    xx danielle // shades of danielle // bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't even know this show existed. I must watch it as I've already fallen in love with the costumes. The ladies look amazing :) X

    THEFASHION-JUNKIE

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice post! http://adribohocloset.blogs.elle.es/sorteo-entradas-080-barcelona-fashion/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going to have to check this out!
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for the recommendation! I'd check this show out!

    xx
    http://felishmichelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for tip for new tv serie! I just ended with one and looking for something new and this one looks awesome =)

    Michael
    www.ontheleaf.net

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad you had a wonderful vacation time and the places you visited I want to visit too one day:-) Judging by the way the wardrobe looks, this movie must me amazing. Wonderful review. Have a wonderful weekend! XOXO, Jeannette

    www.msjeannieandhercloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is very interesting! And I need a vacay too!

    ReplyDelete

© Paradise Playground. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY pipdig